Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Lately... (Part 1)

Man, time really flies when you are not in school! I can not believe it is already practically June. We have been SUPER busy lately with birthdays, cleaning, searching for a house, trying to pack, cleaning, chasing around a busy 11 month old, and cleaning (why does it seem that cleaning is a neverending task? I swear the more I clean the messier my house seems to be...this is one of those things that I really think will never make sense to me). For the next few days I will try to catch you up on what we have been up to since my last post...

1.) Gardening
 
 

Here is my little garden :) Don't you love the camo backdrop that I made? Just kidding...that is Andy's canoe. Anyways, we decided to go with a container garden for several reasons, mainly because we are moving, but also because I have never had a garden before and the man at the nursery told me that container gardens were less prone to problems like diseases and bugs. Since I have never had a garden before I will have no way of testing his theory, but we will see just how well this little project does.


We made our tomato cages out of bamboo, but I haven't finished the cross pieces...I figured I had a couple more weeks before they would be tall enough to actually need them.


 I planted several varieties of tomatoes (I figured the more I planted, the more likely that something would grow).

Some more tomatoes and a cucumber plant (on the left)


If I were a really good blogger I would go back outside and find out exactly what these are so I could label them properly...but I am not. All I know is that that little guy on the top right is okra.


Again, I have no idea what these are from looking at this picture, but I do know what all I planted: tomatoes (lots of tomatoes), peppers (several bells, jalapeno, and one more spicy...cerano i think?), okra, yellow squash, zucchini, eggplant, cucumbers, and herbs. I told myself that as long as one thing from every pot grows I will be very happy!


I do know what this is :) This is my herb pot. I have two different types of basil, cilantro, mint, greek oregano, and that spikey one up top is my favorite- curry! It smells SOOO good :)


I like to call this the reject table. Remember my zinnias that I planted from seed FOREVER ago? That is them up top... my poor zinnia's may never get a home in the ground and be able to actually bloom due to the big move. Those other rejects are the extra plants I bought thinking I had more containers at home than I really did. I now have some more containers (thanks to Andy's grandmother's shed), but I still have to get some more soil. I have a feeling the reject table may remain just that...

 I will keep you posted on the progress of my garden, and hopefully I will be able to share the fruits of my labor with you! So far it has rained a good bit, which I think has really helped me out because I was having a hard time figuring out just how much to water them. I really am clueless about this whole veggie garden thing, so if you have any tips, please let me know! I would love any advice I can get :)

1 comment:

  1. Um, wow! I am totally impressed! I was going to post a picture or two of my "garden," but you have completely put me to shame. I love the bamboo for tomato cages idea. I don't know much about growing, but I have done some canning if you get a good harvest ;).

    ReplyDelete